The debate on Rawhide continues. Dogs need to chew right? Rawhide has been a very popular treat for dogs since the 1950′s. Recently, we have begun to understand why Rawhide chews are not the best choice for dogs and may be deadly.
Rawhide treats are made from dried out animal hide, bones, ears, tails & hooves and come from cows, pigs, lambs and horses. In some countries such as China and Thailand, where their slaughter is not illegal, dog and cat parts are used in the treats intended for the same pets and sold to the United States.
Parts are obtained from slaughterhouses then processed and treated usually by soaking the animal parts in lye or lime, deadly chemicals used to make soap, drain opener and other caustic chemical cleaners. To remove the solution, the animal parts are then bleached – yet another harmful chemical in the product. In some countries, arsenic is used in the treatment process.
The rawhide is then formed into a shape that will attract the consumer (and that’s you, the one with the wallet) such as a bone, ball or stick. Some rawhide treats have flavors added.
The manufacturing process should make it clear that these are not suitable treats for your pet. The chemicals in rawhide can be extremely harmful to your dog and the manufacturing process may result in salmonella and other harmful bacteria that pose a risk to humans who handle rawhide as well as dogs who chew them.
In 2008 the FDA recalled Hartz Rawhide treats for possible salmonella contamination. Salmonella poisoning in dogs causes vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and lethargy and may lead to death. Doesn’t that make you feel safe about this kind of product?
There are basic physical dangers to dogs resulting from chewing rawhide. Choking is common when a dog breaks off a piece of rawhide and tries to swallow it. The piece of rawhide may become lodged in the throat and cause your dog to choke to death.
When a piece of rawhide is broken off and swallowed successfully, it swells up in the stomach or intestine and may cause a blockage which can kill your dog at worst and require painful and expensive surgery at best. Blockages caused by rawhide are quite common, it is very easy for dogs to break off a piece of rawhide – they have no understanding that you are supposed to chew and not eat.
Some recommend that you supervise your pet while they chew rawhide, but there is no way you can keep your dog from breaking off a piece. Dogs cannot digest rawhide. If they are lucky, the piece is small enough to pass through their system. If they are not lucky, a life threatening blockage will occur.
Published with permission from Cathy ColoradoCrossposter
Rawhide has caused seizures in dogs .
It doesn’t really matter where you buy the Rawhide, it’s still Rawhide.
So you have always given your dog rawhides for years with no problems? It only takes one negative event to claim your dogs life. Are you certain you want to gamble with your beloved friend’s life?
Don’t believe me?
Take the rawhide challenge. Cut varying sizes from different rawhide products and set them in a bowl of water to soak before going to bed. In the morning you will see the sizes that they have grown to. They will vary, but the increase should be noticeable.
The A.S.P.C.A. position on this subject is:
The ASPCA recommends that people read and follow label directions explicitly, and choose products designed for the species, size and chewing habits of their pets. In addition, the ASPCA encourages guardians to actively observe their dog while chewing and to immediately consult a veterinarian if their pet consumes a chunk of chew material.
THERE ARE NO DIRECTIONS that would prepare you for the possibility of your dog dying from a chew treat.
Box retail stores sell rawhide bones in big bins. Couple of years ago they placed signs on the bins warning people to wash their hands after handling the rawhide. Now this warning has gone by the wayside. If it’s not safe for humans to handle I sure am not feeding it to my dog!!